Friday, October 5, 2012

Weekend Post

My weekend is about to begin.  What this means for a first-year "flipper" is that I prepare lesson plans, grade from last week what is left and make movies for my students to watch.  I have one extra day to plan for because I will be gone from school next Monday.  However, I will be gone on a day that I have a lot of "flipping" going on.  Hopefully this means my students won't miss out on too much.  They won't have me there to explain things, though.  That could be problematic. 

Things were tough this week.  I am not going to put it any other way.  My Algebra 2 classes struggled to understand domain, range, and what functions are.  I gave an extra day to all my classes and revamped my non-flipped Algebra 2 lesson to accommodate for the difficulties.  As a teacher I still try to find ways to teach things better, but I really struggle with how rigorous I can make the lesson and still have the students get anything out of it.  I want math to be understandable for them, but feel that part of making it understandable means letting them learn more about it.  Too much struggle gets students discouraged, though.

Flipping was challenging.  I had one lesson for Algebra 1 that Khan did not cover, so I flipped without Khan.  Also, the Khan exercises for my Algebra 2 class were so challenging that they had a difficult time doing them.  I was tired at the end of each flipped day.  I flip all my classes on my B-days and one of the three on my A-days.  Khan is great, except when it's not.  I couldn't get my normal stats from it this week either.  That was frustrating and I've never seen that happen.  Maybe next week will be better.  However, students did stay engaged.

No comments:

Post a Comment