Wednesday, October 3, 2012

New Flipping Adventures

My flipping experience for the first unit of Algebra 1 was fantastic.  Flipping with Khan Academy produced excellent results.  However, the results were so excellent, I wanted to find out if it was flipping or Khan that created the biggest difference.  So, I am flipping two more classes. I have three sections of Algebra 2. One will be the control, one flipped with book assignments and one flipped with Kahn.  Yesterday was the first day of that experiment.  The flipped with book class went well.  Students stayed on task, but not nearly as on task as with Khan Academy.  Khan was more rigorous, actually, than the book assignments I had given out.  I need to make sure everyone has the same rigor for all assignments in all three classes.

I was highly impressed with my Khan flipped Algebra 2 class.  The class typically has a lot of behavior problems due to the personalities of the students in the class and the fact that it is the last class of the day.  Students often miss the class as well.  This helps them stay caught up.  Today, I was able to give out the links to the videos to a student who would miss my Algebra 2 class that was unflipped today.  It was nice to know he would not get behind simply because he couldn't be at school.

The bad side of flipping...I am very tired.  It takes a lot out of me physically and mentally to switch between problems for individual students as I roam the room.  It takes more energy to roam the room and keep track of students who need to progress and those who need more practice.  I am constantly moving during a flipped class.  I guess it will help with my fitness level.  Man, I have no energy today, though.  

No comments:

Post a Comment